Thursday, July 01, 2010

Interesting Health Quote on Ayurvedic Medicine

When diet is wrong medicine is of no use. When diet is correct medicine is of no need. - Ayurvedic Proverb


I first became interested in Ayurvedic medicine when one of my sons developed a bad case of night sweats. He was so hot at night he could not get to sleep, and then was so tired in the morning he couldn't go to school. He had to be home schooled for a few weeks. During this time we took him to many conventional doctors, few had any clue as to what was wrong with him. I searched the Internet and found out that he had been drinking ginger ale for an upset stomach, and in Ayurvedic medicine ginger was classified as a a warming spice.

The Ayurvedic solution was to give him milk, bananas and broccoli which were said to be "cooling foods". After he was on this diet he got better very quickly. Now I search my Ayurvedic and other holistic health books first for answers before going to the regular doctors. I used to go to the local health food store and look through their alternative health book library, but these days I have a more extensive collection of alternative health books than they do.

11 comments:

KeralaAyurveda said...

I Agree. I think Preventive Medicine is the answer. To try and eat well, digest well, and incorporate ayurvedic natural principles in your lifestyle. This usually can keep the doctor away. If it saves you a couple of doctor visits it was more than worth your investment. Happy Healing!

Natural Detox Queen said...

Ayurveda treatment is also good for your skin and hair. I believe in natural medicine becuase you don't have to worry about side effects and it also helps you treat the root of the problem.

Tilly said...

So very true. Diet and healthful living can cure/prevent so many ills, but our society simply doesn't realize it. It's become the abnorm to eat well! Even those of us who avoid "Fast Food" are stuck eating what is sold in the grocery store (not much better) unless we're lucky enough to grow our own or have a local co-op. I'm with you tho, healing naturally before heading to the docs. I was on narcotic pain meds for 7 years, and now I'm drug free with gem essences and essential oils.

Keith Nemec said...

I've never heard of being too hot to sleep. I hope your son gets better soon and eating good foods will help a lot.

Sheena Furnace said...

Great article! Have you considered figuring out the doshas of your family members and adjusting their diets more permanently? As a certified holistic health coach, I find that infusing pieces of Ayurveda to be a very effective way to help clients design a diet that works really well for them. I'm curious as to how much you are exploring Ayurveda!

Sheena Furnace, CHHC
SimplyHealthywithSheena.com

Sam said...

I read a good article recently about stools can provide signs of good diet and health.

Kaye Anne said...

Well the introduction quotes makes me stop and think for a minute. If it is wrong med is has no use cause it will surely against the right use. Well i believe that the real secrete is a great discipline of ourselves.

Gypsy Fe said...

This is wonderful knowledge. I like to try home remedies first too and use conventional doctors as a last resort.

Unknown said...

I believe that the old adage that a penny worth of prevention is worth a pound of cure. If we start to adopt more natural eating habits and get more sleep and drink more water we can make big changes in our lives

Anonymous said...

That's very interesting, I knew that Ayurvedic's knew a lot about math, but not about health. It's really interesting on how there are so many alternative ways to deal with sickness!!

Azren
greathealthmadesimple.blogspot.com

health ecology said...

I just wanted to add a comment here to mention thanks for you very nice ideas. Blogs are troublesome to run and time consuming thus I appreciate when I see well written material. Your time isn’t going to waste with your posts. Thanks so much and stick with it No doubt you will definitely reach your goals! have a great day!