Friday, May 23, 2008

Updates on My CTDS Site Regarding IBS


I've added updated my pages to my Connective Tissue Disorder Site on irritable bowel syndrome and the links to diet and fungal infections. In general, the tips I personally found helpful are to: 1) eat mainly cooked foods; 2) cut out sugar; 3) cut out most dairy except for yogurt with active cultures; 4) eat a lot of soup with nonstarchy vegetables, beans and meat; 5) cut buck on grains; 6) eliminate spicy foods; and 7) take probiotic supplements when needed.

I don't always stick to this diet mainly due to a lack of willpower, but when I do stick to it I feel much better. My husband and I used to enjoy going to a local French restaurant, but I've realized now that while the rich sauces and sweet desserts taste great, I just don't feel well afterwards. So instead now we often go out for Mexican foods with cooked meat beans and veggies dishes and feel much better afterwards. Whenever I eat sugar I've noticed it is not only hard on my stomach, but I also get more congested, especially at night when I'm trying to sleep.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the tips. I don't have IBS, but I have noticed how certain cuisine affects me now. Kepp up the good work!

Unknown said...

Great blog,I like your IBS post.

LilyofLight.com

DetoxQueen said...

How do you know if you have IBS? I don't think I have it but have been having digestive problems lately. But I think it is too soon to tell.

sam said...

Good post. Watching and controlling what you eat is one of the hardest things, especially if your mum or partner is a good cook.

butcher winnipeg said...

It's interesting because everyone has a different definition of health. Some people never eat at restaurants some do. If you stick to it though you'd be amazed how much better you feel. Health is the only thing you have that is really internal happiness. Good quality of life is really the key to true happiness. Stick with it. Nothing is more important in your life then your health.